Hagan, Georgia is a small town located in the southeastern part of the state. With an estimated population of around 400 people, it is a tight-knit community with strong ties to its past and a deep sense of pride. Geographically, Hagan is located on the edge of the Oconee National Forest and offers stunning views of nature throughout the year. The climate is mild and temperate for most of the year, with hot summers and cold winters. See topbbacolleges for information about Appling County, Georgia.
The town was originally established in 1868 when two families settled in the area. It quickly grew into a prosperous farming community that provided for its citizens for generations. Today, Hagan serves as both a bedroom community for nearby cities as well as an agricultural hub for local farms. The economy is largely based on agriculture, but there is also some light industry in town as well.
When it comes to education, Hagan has several schools that provide quality education to students from kindergarten through 12th grade. There are also several private schools available in the area if families prefer those options instead. The school system also offers many extracurricular activities such as sports teams and clubs to keep students engaged outside of class time.
Hagan has several landmarks that make it unique including an old-fashioned general store that still operates today and a historic mill built in 1881 which still stands today despite being closed since 1978. There are also several churches located throughout town which serve as places of spiritual gathering for locals and visitors alike. Finally, there’s a large park located near downtown which provides plenty of outdoor activities such as walking trails, picnic areas, playgrounds, and more!
Population: 898. Estimated population in July 2020: 1,028 (+14.5% change)
Males: 445 (49.6%), Females: 453 (50.4%)
Zip code: 30429
Median resident age: 34.0 years
Median household income: $26,852
Median house value: $84,200
Races in Hagan:
- White Non-Hispanic (63.8%)
- Black (30.0%)
- Hispanic (5.0%)
- Other race (3.0%)
- Two or more races (0.7%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: United States (31.8%), Irish (6.6%), English (6.1%), German (2.3%), French (1.6%).
Elevation: 190 feet
Land area: 2.1 square miles
Hagan, Georgia is a small city located in the southeastern United States. As of 2019, the population of Hagan is estimated to be around 8,000 people. The majority of the population is white (around 74%), while African American and Hispanic/Latino individuals make up around 19% and 7% respectively. There are also small populations of Asian and Native American individuals in Hagan. The age range of residents in Hagan is broad, with individuals as young as 0-18 making up 22% of the population, 19-34 making up 24%, 35-54 making up 34%, and 55+ making up 20%. The median household income in Hagan is around $45,000 per year with a poverty rate of around 16%. Education levels vary widely among residents with over one third having obtained at least a Bachelor’s degree while nearly half have completed some college or an Associate’s degree. There are several elementary schools and one middle school located within the city limits. Additionally, there are two higher education institutions located nearby: Georgia Southern University and Ogeechee Technical College.
For population 25 years and over in Hagan
- High school or higher: 70.3%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 10.7%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.1%
- Unemployed: 4.5%
- Mean travel time to work: 23.7 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Hagan city
- Never married: 25.4%
- Now married: 54.3%
- Separated: 4.4%
- Widowed: 4.5%
- Divorced: 11.5%
3.6% Foreign born (3.0% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: +110 (+14.0%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Hagan:
- EVANS MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 2 miles; CLAXTON, GA)
- TATTNALL COMMUNITY HOSPITAL (about 15 miles; REIDSVILLE, GA)
- CANDLER COUNTY HOSPITAL (about 20 miles; METTER, GA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Hagan:
- SAVANNAH/HILTON HEAD INTERNATIONAL (about 51 miles; SAVANNAH, GA; Abbreviation: SAV)
- HUNTER AAF (about 57 miles; SAVANNAH, GA; Abbreviation: SVN)
- BRUNSWICK GOLDEN ISLES (about 71 miles; BRUNSWICK, GA; Abbreviation: BQK)
Other public-use airports nearest to Hagan:
- CLAXTON-EVANS COUNTY (about 5 miles; CLAXTON, GA; Abbreviation: CWV)
- REIDSVILLE (about 17 miles; REIDSVILLE, GA; Abbreviation: RVJ)
- METTER MUNI (about 18 miles; METTER, GA; Abbreviation: MHP)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Hagan:
- GEORGIA SOUTHERN UNIVERSITY (about 21 miles; STATESBORO, GA; Full-time enrollment: 12,724)
- ARMSTRONG ATLANTIC STATE UNIVERSITY (about 52 miles; SAVANNAH, GA; Full-time enrollment: 3,945)
- SAVANNAH COLLEGE OF ART AND DESIGN (about 61 miles; SAVANNAH, GA; Full-time enrollment: 4,565)
- AUGUSTA TECHNICAL COLLEGE (about 85 miles; AUGUSTA, GA; Full-time enrollment: 2,300)
- AUGUSTA STATE UNIVERSITY (about 91 miles; AUGUSTA, GA; Full-time enrollment: 3,778)
- UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH CAROLINA AT AIKEN (about 99 miles; AIKEN, SC; Full-time enrollment: 2,636)
- GEORGIA COLLEGE AND STATE UNIVERSITY (about 111 miles; MILLEDGEVILLE, GA; Full-time enrollment: 4,028)