Off the coast of the Vanino region in the Tatar Strait, the island of Toki with a rookery of pinnipeds is interesting, and the valley of the Tumnin River, which flows through the territory of the region, is a very picturesque place where you can see rocky landscapes, interesting backwaters and channels, as well as glades with exotic and rare vegetation. In addition, the Tumnin River is perfect for fishing, grayling, taimen, char, Dolly Varden, Kunja, chum salmon, sim, pink salmon and Sakhalin sturgeon are found in its waters. Nikolaevsk-on -Amur is located
580 km northeast of Komsomolsk-on -Amur. The city was founded in 1850 by Gennady Ivanovich Nevelsky, a researcher of the Far East, at the mouth of the Amur River and became the first post on this river. In 1856, the post received the status of a city and until 1926 it was called Nikolaevsk. From 1858 to 1884, Nikolaevsk was the capital of the Amur Governorate General, then all departments were transferred to Khabarovsk. At the end of the 19th century, gold deposits were discovered in the vicinity of the city, which attracted many people here. Nikolaevsk became the center of gold mining in the Far East. Today, Nikolaevsk-on-Amur is a major port on the Amur River with a developed industry.
According to Nonprofitdictionary, the main attractions of the city are located in the city park, which is located on the banks of the Amur River. Here you can see monument to the founder of the city G.I. Nevelskoy, a memorial complex “In memory of the fighters who died for the establishment of Soviet power in the Lower Amur in 1918-1922” (1972) and a memorial sign “50 years of victory in the Great Patriotic War”, installed in 1995. Very interesting local history museum, which was formed in 1946. The museum consists of four halls: “Nature of the Lower Amur”, “Archaeology, Ethnography and Development of the Lower Amur”, “Modern History” and “Exhibition”. Among the most valuable collections stand out a collection of ritual sculpture, household items and clothing of the peoples of the Lower Amur, a collection of minerals and rocks, a collection of coins of the second half of the 19th – 20th centuries, letters and documents of participants in the Amur expedition of 1850-1855, a collection of photo postcards with views of the city before 1917 Nikolaevsk (until 1917, a collection of Russian art silver and items of noble life of the 18-20 centuries and a collection of semi-precious stones of Siberia and the Far East.
– The place where the first settlement was founded. On the Petrovsky spit there is an obelisk and a cross in memory of the Nikolaevsky post. In the Amur Estuary on Chkalov Island (Udd) you can see the obelisk, which was installed in 1986 in honor of the 50th anniversary of the plane landing after a non-stop flight from Moscow to Udd Island. The flight was carried out under the command of Chkalov, from where the island got its new name.
17 km from Nikolaevsk-on-Amur are the remains of the famous Chnyrrakh fortress 19-20 centuries. It served as an outpost for the protection of the Amur region. This unique military structure was blown up in 1920 during the retreat of partisans. From the former fortifications, an underground command post and the ruins of fortifications have been preserved to this day. Also in this area is an archaeological monument – an ancient site dating back to the 1st millennium AD.
Also in the Nikolaevsky district, numerous reserves and specially protected natural areas of the islands of the Amur Estuary and the Tatar Strait can be distinguished, where there are rookeries of pinnipeds and many birds live.
In the Ulchsky district, 120 km from Nikolaevsk-on-Amur, there is the Anninsky mineral-thermal spring.. The water temperature in it is +53 degrees, and the water is characterized as sulfate-hydrocarbonate sodium with a high content of silicic acid. On the basis of the mineral spring, in 1966, the Anninsky Waters resort was created with a balneological clinic, which became the first resort in the Far East. The waters of the Anninsky spring are favorable for the treatment of skin and gynecological diseases and diseases of the musculoskeletal system. The spa offers various types of baths, irrigation, showers, balneotherapy, physiotherapy, physiotherapy and massage.
60 km from the center of the Ulchsky district (the village of Bogoroditskoye) in the village of Bulava there is an ethnographic complex with an open-air museum “Ulch village” and a museum of folk art. The complex hosts performances by national ensembles and shows the traditions and rituals of the Ulchi people.
In the southeastern part of the Sea of Okhotsk, not far from the coast, are the Shantar Islands.. They are part of the Tuguro-Chumikansky district. This archipelago has an area of about 2.5 thousand square meters. km and consists of 15 mountainous islands with high steep banks. Since 1997, it has been awarded the title of federal nature reserve. The islands are covered with larch and dark coniferous forests, thickets of elfin cedar and dotted with many rivers with waterfalls and lakes. Of particular interest are the colonial nesting sites of birds (spectacled guillemot, hatchet, ipatka, cormorants and various species of gulls), of which 30 species are listed in the Red Book of Russia. On the islands there are rookeries of sea lions, bearded seals, spotted seals and akiba. There are 35 species of fish in local rivers and lakes, including mykizha, kunzha, chum and smelt. The village
of Okhotsk is located on the northern coast of the Sea of Okhotsk . . This is one of the oldest settlements in the Far East, which was founded in 1674 and became the main base of the Siberian military flotilla, and also laid the foundation for the Pacific Fleet. Since 1927, Okhotsk has been an urban-type settlement. Nowadays, the seaport is in a deplorable state and operates as a port point. There are no attractions in the village. However, some villages of the Okhotsk region are interesting, where the indigenous peoples of the region live, who are engaged in reindeer herding. These settlements include the village of Arka, the village of Inya and the village of Vostretsovo. The Even national-cultural center “Hedye” also operates in the district.
Southwest of Okhotsk along the coast is the village of Ayan. It was founded in 1844 and is the first Russian settlement on the territory of the Ayano-Maisky district. In the village, the obelisk “Military Glory” and the monument “Red Army soldiers who died for Soviet power in 1924” are interesting.
On both sides of the village on the coast of the Sea of Okhotsk lies the Dzhugdzhur State Nature Reserve. The reserve was established in 1990. Now it consists of three sites with a total area of 860,000 hectares, of which 54 hectares are in the sea area. The reserve occupies the central part of the Dzhugdzhur ridge and the southern part of the Coastal ridge. 480 plant species, 42 mammal species and 166 bird species have been identified here. Elk, musk deer, bighorn sheep, bear, wolf, wolverine, fox, sable, squirrel, Siberian weasel, ermine, white hare, black-capped marmot and otter live on the territory of the reserve.
In the coastal part of the Sea of Okhotsk there are ringed seal (akiba), spotted seal (larga), piebald seal (lionfish) and bearded seal (beared seal). Taimen, grayling, lenok, whitefish, chum salmon, pink salmon, char, coho salmon are found in the rivers of the reserve. Along the coast of the Sea of Okhotsk, there are migration routes of migratory waterfowl and shorebirds. In the reserve you can meet birds included in the Red Book of Russia: osprey, peregrine falcon, golden eagle, Steller’s and white-tailed eagles, fish owl, gyrfalcon, wild grouse, long-billed fawn and mountain snipe.
Of the natural attractions of the reserve, one can single out Lake Baikalenok, so named because of the purity of the water, the Ardyakh River, the channel of which ends abruptly and the river simply disappears, the Selenda River, which flows out of the rock, the Tsipandinsky cave complex with calcium deposits and stalagmites, the Lantar and Aldoma rivers where spawning and migration of pink salmon and chum salmon take place. There are opportunities for fishing on the numerous rivers of the Dzhugdzhur Range, and the sport fishing of Dolly Varden and Kundzha is of particular interest. Very popular sightings of seals and seals on the rocks of the sea coast. In the local village of Nelkan, you can visit the Church of the Annunciation of the Mother of God, built of larch in 1893, and the regional museum of local lore.
In the Ayano-Mai region, karst formations along the Selinde rivers are also interesting. and Ardzhakh, the Ingili kimberlite field in the Ingili River basin, where 11 kimberlite pipes are protected, and the Bokur Mesozoic alkaline volcano in the upper Bokur River.