Are you looking for that perfect job in the state of Utah? The website URLs of top recruiters and job directories are just for you. Simply review the following job index and click on the link of your interest to find your job in Utah. If you are living outside of Utah, and would like to learn more about the Alabama, you can visit countryaah.com to see demographics and hospitals information of each city located in Utah.
- Citypopulationreview: Introduction to the state of Utah, including brief history, state facts and state symbols – flag, bird, animal, flower, song, gemstone, etc.
- Campingship.com: Basic outline of the state Utah. Covers location, geography, state history and largest counties within Utah.
What is a Senior Controller?
In contrast to specialized controllers – for example in human resources, marketing, sales, purchasing or projects – senior controllers consider the overall economic management of the company. Similar to a pilot for the captain, the senior controller is a close advisor and a confidant of the management.
The key data and figures of the company come together here. His task is to ensure that this data is correct and comprehensive, to evaluate it and to derive analyzes and recommendations for action from it. This function requires a high degree of responsibility and makes an important contribution to the company’s success.
In contrast to (junior) controllers, senior controllers have more experience and work more strategically. You take on fewer routine and standard activities, but more strategic tasks and consulting functions. In contrast to the head of controlling, however, senior controllers manage little or no staff. As a rule, the position of Senior Controller occurs in medium-sized and large companies.
Examples from the day-to-day business of a senior controller
- Ensuring up-to-date controlling tools: If the requirements for controllingchange or the existing controlling tools are not sufficient to meet all future requirements, the senior controller must analyze the situation and introduce new tools if necessary. To do this, he formulates the new requirements, searches the market for suitable products, buys them in coordination with the management, accompanies their implementation and ensures the usability in the company.
- Preparation of the company budget: Senior controllers are responsible for preparing the company budget for the following financial years. To do this, they draw on economic, business and company-specific facts and premises and use them to create a company budget. They coordinate this with the economic units and top management. Since the interests here are not always congruent, experience and sensitivity are required for implementation.
- Implementation of control tools: If necessary, the senior controller implements control tools. These are, for example, visualized and user-oriented dashboards with filter functions and a traffic light system that shows the responsible manager how the situation in his area of responsibility is. As a rule, such dashboards are made available online and provided with user-specific rights.
Senior Controller and digitalization
Due to digitization, ever larger volumes of data are available at ever shorter intervals or in real time (big data). This data must be made manageable and capable of analysis. In the future, there will be more automation of standard analysis processes, see Robotic Process Automation (RPA). The senior controller must ensure this procedure and, in return, can focus more on the subsequent control and advisory functions.
Occasionally, possible effects through the use of artificial intelligence (AI) / cognitive computing are also discussed. However, the impact of these technologies on the position of Senior Controller currently appears small at best. Because the complex questions that arise here cannot be adequately represented by technical solutions, at least in the medium term. Nevertheless, one must not lose sight of the development of this topic.
Further drivers for the controlling area are the increasing internationalization and globalization. In this context, it is becoming increasingly important for senior controllers to remain flexible and constantly expand their own knowledge. This includes up-to-date know-how on international accounting standards and very good foreign language skills.
The most important things in 5 seconds
- Education: Completed degree in economics, finance or comparable education
- Starting salary: €60,000
- Top salary: €150,000
- Opportunities for advancement: Head of Controlling, Head of Accounting and Controlling, CFO
What does a Senior Controller do?
- Ensuring and validating the budget planning and reporting processes
- Ensuring that the controlling tools are up-to-date and future-proof
- Evaluation of the created reports
- proactive delivery of elementary analysis results and recommendations for action
- active support of the management in economic issues
How does one become a Senior Controller?
As a senior controller, a degree in business administration with a focus on controlling is a great advantage, but there are also career changers. Applicants should have at least five years of professional experience in controlling. Common requirements for the Senior Controller position are:
- Completed studies in the field of economics, finance or comparable training
- Relevant professional experience in controlling
- good command of the common user programs and relevant ERP systems as well as a high affinity to them
- Good knowledge of the required national and, if applicable, international accounting standards
- Very good language skills in the required areas. Knowledge of English and other foreign languages are generally helpful
What does a senior controller earn?
up to €150,000
Senior Controllers earn between € 60,000 and €150,000 per year. The salary depends primarily on the size of the company and the respective industry. The chemical, pharmaceutical and petroleum industries pay higher salaries than the service, transport or retail sectors. In addition, there is a perceptible south-north and west-east gradient. Another salary criterion is your own background experience.
What do you expect from the Senior Controller?
Senior controllers combine a strong understanding of numbers with relevant professional experience, good communication skills and absolute trustworthiness. You must ensure the current and future controllability of the company. To do this, they must have the necessary sensitivity and assertiveness to exist and mediate between the expectations of the operational areas and the requirements of management.
Senior controllers understand numbers and their connections straight away. They succeed in converting these sometimes very complex relationships into understandable analyzes and recommendations for action. In addition, they can abstract these findings and convey them to the different target groups in a convincing and understandable way.
If you want to be successful as a senior controller in the long term, you must always follow the latest developments that define the new requirements for controlling. Above all, this includes digitization or big data and the associated requirements for smart IT solutions.
Opportunities for advancement as Senior Controller
The classic career path has usually led the senior controller through the positions of junior controller and controller. The logical further development is the management of controlling, but the management of accounting and controlling is also realistic.
It is also possible to develop into a commercial director or, in the future, into a CFO, since the senior controller works on a general basis and therefore has a good overall view of the company.
CitySearch – Utah Career Center
Read the feature articles and use the search tool to find a desired job.
Cool Works Utah
Find out about temporary and seasonal employment in national parks, resorts, with travel companies and outdoors.
Nickel Want Ads
Classifieds for western Colorado and eastern Utah. Browse categories including auto, personals, real estate, and merchandise or post your own.
Ogden Standard-Examiner Classifieds
Browse through over 150,000 classifieds ranging from jobs to automotive and more. Use the memopad feature to save ads of interest.
State of Utah – Business
Business resources from the official state government site. Includes links to state departments and agencies, a FAQ, and guides.
Summer Jobs Utah
Database of seasonal and part-time opportunities for students and education professionals. Listings include job desciption and contact details.
Professional, managerial, and technical jobs you can apply for online, and links to companies and recruitment companies.
Utah Career Resources
Career Resource Center’s directory of links to career help, including classifieds, governments, employers, and information services.
Utah Job Bank
State employment agency’s database of jobs, searchable by keyword or occupation. Part of America’s Job Bank.
Utah Labor Commission
See details on divisions including anti discrimination and industrial accidents. Read cases from the appeals board and the labor commission.